The purpose of these Dev Logs will be to share with everyone the creation process for Steampunk Panic. A way to look behind the curtain, so to say. Some of these Dev Logs will be simple, others will give plenty of in-depth explanation for how things work or why things were done the way they were.
Time for a Logo!
With the finish line in sight and the game name finalized, it was time to start working on a logo. Designing a logo can be difficult, so instead of tackling this task alone, I reached out to a logo design artist named Michael Dashow (His logo design work can be found here). He is an incredibly professional freelancer and did an amazing job! I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an artist for their game project!
The Logo Creation Process
Right from the start, I knew Mike was going to be the perfect choice. He asked a ton of questions to try and get a feel for what I wanted, without assuming or just drawing up random designs hoping for one to stick.
To determine the right type of logo for the game, he wanted to know if there were other game logos that I liked, what elements of the logos that I liked, colors, art styles, etc. I gravitated toward having a two-word logo using different fonts for each word, on different lines, with possibly different colors per word. I wanted a frame that would surround the logo and I liked the idea of the name extending past the frame. I really love game elements being a part of a logo (If it’s a game about chess, having a chess piece as part of the logo, or if it is an RPG, having a sword or other type of weapon as part of the logo, or a dragon wing, that type of thing).
With this information, some screenshots of the game, various game UI artwork as reference for materials and a description of what the game is, he went to work.
Mike quickly presented a huge group of sketches of various logo designs for Steampunk Panic. He tried using some or all of the various ideas and desires that I wanted, to see how little or how much of the elements I wanted.
(Sketches by Michael Dashow)
There was a lot here to take in. Some of the designs used a pressure gauge as part of the logo design, others used gears and liquid gauges from the game. Lots of different styles of how the typeface could be displayed for the name, and so many great silhouettes for the game logo. Communication went back and forth about these choices and what I liked.
– I didn’t care much for having the pressure gauge, as I didn’t have one in my game. I understand the reasoning behind having it (high pressure, high speed, that type of thing), but the element wasn’t quite what I wanted.
– #6, Panic was really pushed to 11, to see if I liked that type of treatment. It was a little much…
– #7 and #8, I really liked how the Steampunk lettering looks, with the curly pieces extending down to fill in some of the space on the sides of the Panic word. I also liked the frame styles. Also, the liquid gauge on the bottom looked really good in #8.
– Some of the designs were more circular or square in shape, but I really liked the more rectangular look of the other logos. So, I focused more on the horizontal logo versions.
In the end, I settled on most of #8 as the way I wanted to go. I wasn’t sure if those were screws, light bulbs, or cog teeth on the border, but I did like the way it extended a little bit. He clarified that it was metal extensions with screws, which I liked.
Type Face and Borders
With the general design decided (#8), Mike then sent me a few more concepts that showed different typefaces and border styles for that design.
(Concepts by Michael Dashow)
For this selection, I really loved the border style of #2. I also liked how the liquid gauge extended a little bit past the border in #1. Lastly, the typeface for Steampunk and for Panic in #3 were my favorites. I really liked the slightly staggered lettering in the word Panic.
With the design finalized, it was time to see what colors and materials the logo will use, so a cleaned up vectorized version of the logo was created and flat colors applied to see how things would look. This also gives us the ability to see each section clearly, as marked by its own color.
(Flats by Michael Dashow)
I loved the direction that this was going and work continued!
Rendered Final Logo
(Logo by Michael Dashow)
From sketch to final, this is the end result! Mike opted to give a wooded background for the logo, surrounded by a metal border. The gauge color was either going to be blue (to match the timer gauge color in-game) or orange (to match the fever gauge). He went with orange and I think it was a good choice.
With the logo created, I’ll be creating an app icon next!
The UI art and all menus are finished, so I’ll be showing those next time, along with video footage of the game!
I am still polishing the game screen artwork and adding animations.
I’ve been checking out various music samples, trying to finalize the game music as well.
I can’t wait to share more of this process with you in the next couple Dev Logs!